Repopulation IS a freebie. The examples that come with
struts are right (generally). The first thing to do is
understand every tag in the examples'
struts-config.xml. Easier said than done, but maybe
this will help:

In any case, you do not need to 'rebuild' a form,
simply forward back to the .jsp page where the error
happened. If the 'input' parameter of the <action> is
set, this should happen automatically if validation is
on.

-Kevin