On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:54:45 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: newbiew Q: how to do redirect instead of forward
>

> Ok.  So, from the user's perspective, when we do a redirect, they are sent
> to a different location.  When we do a forward, they are not, even if the
> content changes?

You've got it.  Essentially, the URL that is requested addresses a piece
of business logic ("save this customer" or "search this database") -- it
has nothing at all to do with which page actually produces the output.
Internally, the application implements this with a
RequestDispatcher.forward() call, which is essentially like calling a
subroutine -- the client has no clue who really provided the response.

I'm something of a rebel in this regard, but I believe that the location
bar and the back button are the two worst features of HTML browsers.  In a
"Model 2" design architecture like the one that Struts advocates, URLs are
basically irrelevant to users -- it's just a feature of the plumbing used
to enable the application to execute.

I've also been known to create web applications that open the app in a new
window without these things -- it doesn't stop the advanced user who knows
the keyboard shortcuts from trying to screw things up, but it sure cuts
down on the unsophisticated users who think a web application is supposed
to be browsable the same way that a web site is :-).

Craig McClahan