the powers that be within my organization have passed a decree that all form
buttons have to use images because, supposedly, html text buttons are too
"ugly".  be that as it may.

i am extending the LookupDispatchAction for all my Action classes that have
inserts/updates/searches etc in them.  the following is an example of my
action setup in struts-config.xml.

    <!-- Carrier related Action Mappings -->
    <action
      path="/secure/CarrierAdmin"
      name="CarrierAdminForm"
      type="com.brightpoint.online.admin.control.carrier.CarrierAdminAction"

      scope="request"
      input="/jsp/admin/carrier/carrierAdmin.jsp"
      validate="false"
      parameter="action">
      <forward name="show_carrier_admin"
path="/jsp/admin/carrier/carrierAdmin.jsp?action=view"/>
    </action>

in my jsp, i was able to successfully get it to work in the following way.