All,

I'm on a team that's trying to decided on a best practice for passing on
populating our value objects that get passed to our business layer.  We
currently have three techniques we've though up and I'm wonderful if anyone
has a strong opinion on which one may be the "best" and why.

The basic problem is that the user enters information into a form.  The form
is a presentation object, and should not be passed to the business layer.
So it's information needs to be in a presentation-agnostic interface before
being passed to the data layer.

1) Have the action class copy information from the form to a value object.
Have a view helper copy information from the value object into the form (for
pre-population)

2) Have the form implement a value-object-like interface.  The business
layer accepts objects with these business interfaces.  This way it is
possible to pass the form objects to the business layer without the business
layer knowing that they are presentation objects.

3) Have the form simply include value objects as properties.  Then use the
nested taglibs to populate the value objects.  This way the Action can just
pull the value object off directly and pass to the business layer.  A view
helper can just set the value object on the form.

-jdr