My jsps currently assume use of the form specified in
the mapping from <html:form action="mapping">.  I
suppose it's not a problem to always include the name
property in my tags, and assign that the generic form
bean name.  It's a little bothersome though that the
action writer needs to know what kind of object to
create where for each local forward, and that pulling
the data from the model is now duplicated in this
action and in the generic form.  My current design
forwards with the UID of the data as a request
parameter, the form is created for me, I populate it
from the model in the reset method, then the other
request paramters are populated for me, just like when
the generic form is submitted.  Seems a lot more
straightforward, and I can still use a local forward
to keep the navigation contained in the struts-config,
and avoid form population anomalies, if I do this:

forward = new
ActionForward((mapping.findForward("forward")).getName()+"?UID="+UID,true);

What does the "forward" forward map to? If it's another Action then that's considered action chaining, if it's a jsp then it's fine. Chaining actions isn't a good idea but if it works for you in this case, use it.

David