David Graham wrote:

I'm glad someone is doing some work on the validator. And speaking of that,
I will most likely be using the validator extensively pretty soon in a new
application, which may result in some contributions. Are there specific bugs
or feature requests where help is needed?

You can query bugzilla for a list of current bugs and enhancements. I'm basically working alone on validator right now but Rob Leland has recently moved the Javascript stuff from Struts over to commons and added a UrlValidator.

Here are some things I'm planning for commons-validator 2.0:
- Move base Java requirement to 1.4. I tested replacing all of the ORO classes with the Java 1.4 regex equivalents and there was a 50% speed increase.

Does that mean that future struts-1.x releases will be unable to use commons-validator 2.x without changing the Struts base requirements to 1.4?

Gareth.

- Change "form" and "field" semantics to "bean" and "property" to better align the validator with bean validation as opposed to form validation. Forms are just a special case of bean validation.

I'm comfortable enough with the current changes to cut a commons-validator-1.1 release after Struts 1.1 goes final. All help and contributions are welcome!

David