you can use something like:

                <logic:messagesNotPresent property = "rolePoints">
                        <TD CLASS="optionalfieldlabel"
COLSPAN="2"><bean:message key="defineincentives.editpoints" /></TD>
                </logic:messagesNotPresent>
                <logic:messagesPresent property = "rolePoints">
                  <TD CLASS="optionalerrorfieldlabel"
COLSPAN="2"><bean:message key="defineincentives.editpoints" /></TD>
                </logic:messagesPresent>

Cheers,
Krishna