On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Van Riper, Mike wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:04:31 -0700
> From: "Van Riper, Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: PHP version of Struts
>
> At JavaOne this week one of the announcements about future plans was for
> scripting language support, specifically in the context of web pages, that
> will focus initially on PHP support. It was suggested that an initial
> reference implementation of this would provide PHP support in a future
> release of Tomcat. This is at the early JSR stage now. So, it would not be
> of much use any time soon. Still, it seemed worth mentioning in the context
> of this discussion. The JSR for this is JSR-223, Scripting Pages in Java Web
> Applications:
>
>   http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223

Ah yes, that one :-).  I'm going to be watching over what happens here,
but not directly involved in its development.

The fundamental goal is to provide access to Java objects from a scripting
language (not limited to PHP, but that's a very common scenario).  The
classic use case is "I've got my business logic encapsulated in a JavaBean
or an EJB -- can I access it from a PHP page in a manner that is portable
across app servers?".  There are a couple of half-baked solutions
available for PHP in particular, but we need something stronger than that
to make web app resources available to scripting pages in the general
case.

This JSR isn't really about creating web application frameworks in PHP --
such a thing would be pretty much orthagonal to the JSR goal.

> FYI, Van
>
> Mike Van Riper
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Craig