You are refering to jspc ?
In this case when you make a request for test.jsp,
it is first checked that no mapping in the web.xml matches this url.. in
your case there now is.. the servlet equivilent.. hence
your servlet gets run. If the web.xml did not contain the entry then it
would check physically that the jsp file could be served.

JMG