From: Adam Levine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 8, 2003 1:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: using getInputForward vs new ActionForward(mapping.getInput())

My goal in handling "business problems" in validating a form submission from
an Action.execute() is 2-fold:

1:  Display the accumulated ActionErrors (ie, using [html:errors/] )

2: "Return" the user to the exact same URL in their browser address bar.

I was using an action-mapping forward in struts-config to send them to the
original .jsp they used to submit from.  The errors were showing up (good),
but the URL in the address bar was being shown as /dynamic/Path.jspa (bad)

So I changed the action-mapping, setting "redirect" to "true".  Now the
address bar was correct (good), but the error messages were gone (bad).

Then I did a lot of web searching, and discovered that I should be using the
getInput.
So, now my execute() was returning:          return new
ActionForward(mapping.getInput());

This worked!  The address bar was correct and the errors were still present.

Then I "upgraded" my struts library to 1.1b3.    Now I'm back to the
original problem of the address bar being right, but my errors are gone.

I found   mapping.getInputForward(), and tried returning that, even going in
and setting the redirect field to "true".  I'm bouncing between the same 2
situations I had before.

Am I missing something?  Is it no longer possible to have "the best of both
worlds"?  For whatever it may be worth, I'm using the -el sets of libraries
(thank you for finally getting that!).. and jboss 3.07.. and xdoclet...

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

-- adam