--- Denis Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello, all,
> I am not sure whether it is a good practice to:
> eliminate instance variables from Struts action class; and
> make all methods static.
> Basically it turns the action class into a utility class.
> Any comments?  Thanks.

Do *not* make your methods static.  Actions are Singletons and many
threads may be running through them at one time so they must be thread
safe.  This typically means you can't use instance variables to maintain
state.  If you're interested in creating a new instance of each Action per
request (thereby allowing you to use instance variables) you should look
at overriding the RequestProcessor.processActionCreate() method.

David