Sorry.  I was confused:).

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 29, 2003 11:22 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all web
containers?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Yansheng Lin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:48:02 -0600
> From: Yansheng Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all
>     web containers?
>
> Isn't that for URL rewritting only?

Yes, the "path parameter" stuff is for URL rewriting only.

> When you use a session through cookie, I think you can name it anything you
> want.

No ... you really might want to read the spec before making assumptions
like this.  It is specific on the name of the session id cookie
(JSESSIONID) as well, in Section 7.1.1.

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

The entire section on how sessions work in a standard servlet container is
only five pages, plus the Javadocs on the HttpSession class :-).

Craig