> If they aren't faster in performance then something is wrong.  All the
> JSP
> rendering practically has to do is put the code as is into the Servlet
> which
> is a Java class.  No interpretation.  I haven't looked at the source but
> am sure the optimization for rendering code for Scriptlets vs JSTL has
> to be
> there.

Don't be so sure.  Because the JSTL is standard, containers can optimize
the java code generated from JSTL tags.  This means a <c:if> tag can be
converted into a real Java if statement instead of creating tag instances
and invoking the tag's lifecyle.  My understanding is that the Jasper JSP
compiler (comes with Tomcat) actually generates faster Java code if you
*don't* use scriptlets at all.  Resin and Tomcat both optimize JSTL tag
usage.

So, with the JSTL we get the best of both worlds:  Fast page rendering and
standardized, powerful and easy to use markup tags.

David