From: Paananen, Tero [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 2:13 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [OT] Rendering Large ResultSet - Value List Handler Design
Pattern

> Some databases let you specify a LIMIT clause, which limits
> the results
> to whatever you specify, and an OFFSET clause, which starts
> the results
> at the indicated offset.  Using these you can achieve an
> elegant subset
> of results based on start and end position (and it is IMHO
> the best way
> to implement the kind of feature you're describing).

The disadvantage of this approach is that you'll be
tieing your implementation to a specific db vendor
at that point. DB vendors implement such functionality
differently, from what I've seen.

I've yet to see an application that does NOT target a
specific db though. YMMV.

                                -TPP

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Also, email is
susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized
amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we
are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment
or viruses or any consequence thereof.