I am using Struts 1.1 along with the Velocity tools to develop a fairly simple servlet (there are probably going to be no more than twenty actions total)

The problem that I am facing is a deadlock situation where Tomcat simply refuses to respond to any new requests and just stalls. I think it may be due to some code in the model where I am using PreparedStatements (which are declared as synchronized). Has anyone else run into a similar problem where the Struts framework takes an unreasonably long time to handle a request due to synchronized methods? Is there any workaround, other than only using Statements in my model?