The closest I ever came to this sort of problem involved the following:
#1 Sending static content (and lots of it) through the servlet engine
instead of using the web server.
#2 Not having enough request processors and listeners configured.
#3 Not using pooling for my connections and killing the DBMS with new
connection requests.
#4 Not properly closing/releasing my DBMS connections and consuming all
available memory.

So there you go, everything you should NOT do in a nutshell.

Unless you're 100% proof-positive sure that it is a synchronization issue in
your database portion, I would take a look at the above issues as potential
problem areas.

As far as synchronization is concerned, the only thing I can recommend is to
be sure you aren't using your ActionServlet or something high in the food
chain as your target,  otherwise that would seem to cause that sort of a
problem.