From: Steve Raeburn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 4:53 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Interesting JSF info

You talk as if Sun were in sole control of the destiny of JSF and of Struts.
The truth is that Sun in in control of neither.

JSF is being developed under the the Java Community Process and the expert
group comprises a wide cross section of companies and individuals. You can
see for yourself: http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=127

>From the JCP home page:
"The Java Community Process is the way the Java platform evolves. Its an
open organization of international Java developers and licensees whose
charter is to develop and revise Java technology specifications, reference
implementations, and technology compatibility kits. Both Java technology and
the JCP were originally created by Sun Microsystems, however, the JCP has
evolved from the informal process that Sun used beginning in 1995, to a
formalized process overseen by representatives from many organizations
across the Java community."

That doesn't sound very like Microsoft at all. (Microsoft also aren't known
for giving away the fruits of their labour or committing development
resources to open source projects.)

Also, don't forget that JSF is a *specification*, not a product. As far as
I'm aware, vendors (in the loose sense, including Apache) will be free to
develop their own implementations.

With regard to Struts, as long as there is demand and support for Struts
from the user community then Struts will continue to exist and develop. Even
if JSF encompassed everything that Struts has to offer (Craig says it
doesn't and I'm apt to believe him) that would not kill Struts as long as
people still want an alternative.

The bottom line is that Struts will be what *we* need it to be and what *we*
make of it.

Steve

p.s. I don't work for Sun and I don't hate Microsoft :-)