From: Mick Wever <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is singleton DAO acceptable? -- Best Practices
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:43:55 +0200

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:10:07 +0000, Adolfo Miguelez wrote:
> Just to share my experience with singletons: under heavy stress we found
> that a singleton class in our framework was garbage collected. As far as I
> remember, singletons are eligible for that with current SDKs despite policy
> has changed over times as I read from some document in the web.
>
> They were eligible for GC if its ClassLoader is GCd and they are not
> referenced by any object... or something like that. Please check for
> accuracy.

This is very interesting. Which SDK implementation did you see this
behavour?

The single reference to the DAO is actually inside the DAOFactory not the
DAO itself (hence it is not a traditional Singleton) so hopefully this
will prevent the scenerio of it being GC'd.
Or will I have to go further and reference it inside a Struts context as
well? (Eg use the Struts plugin mechanism).

Mick.