From: Navjot Singh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 8:53 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Exception framework Usage

hi viral,

You are thinking in the right direction. That's the way i do it.

I have got 2 base exception classes. AppException and
AppRuntimeException.

1. The exceptions that come under the purview of the business logic and
these can be handled somehow at the controller/model layer to alter the
flow
of control MUST extend AppException.

2. The exceptions that does not come under the purview of the business
logic
and raise because of the system or network problems MUST extend
AppRuntimeException.

However, one must use some common sense to decide which exception should
go
where.
Say, we are connecting to some URL and it may throw TimeoutException.
which
is not a checked exception. We must be ready to capture this and throw
some
checked exception.
The caller may catch the exception and try connecting again....may be
thrice
;-) and if still no luck the caller passes on the message to
PRESENTATION.

So your code will not be cluttered with "throws XRuntimeException" and
tthese exceptions MUST be handled back at CONTROLLER layer only. MODEL
layer
should just handle CHECKED exceptions.

Examples
At Controller  => DuplicateEmailException extends AppException (we may
display the same form showing error on top)
At Model => InsufficientBalanceException extends AppException (we may
charge
as much as he has got and rest of the amount we will accomodtae in next
invoice)

DatabaseAccessException extends AppRuntimeException ( as there is hardly
anything we can do about this. We MAY show some nice "SORRY" page and/or
may
LOG this exception somewhere)

BTW, there is some nice article on "Exception handling" on IBM Developer
site. Do check.

hope this helps and suggestions are welcome.
Navjot Singh