I wasn't criticising your suggestions about how to do a migration - you've obviously got experience there. I was suggesting you, or rather Prashanth, look at the possibility of a fresh start.

I read the chapter in Struts in Action about migrating normal JSPs to Tiles, and that was complex enough without doing the rest of struts at the same time.

There are so many tasks involved in designing a struts app, e.g. seperating out business logic, employing Validator, perhaps DynaActionForms, Tiles as mentioned, evolving a sensible JDBC set-up, security, blah blah blah. You've got to look at why you are considering upgrading in the first place. Is it to make the application easier to develop in the future? Or is it to make the app more commercially marketable ("powered by struts") or is it because the current design defies further development? Or other reasons. The point being, if you don't start from scratch, then your migration path will meet heavy compromises along the way. Things will necessarily get messy. I would say to be successful, you would need an in-depth knowledge of struts before you start, as well as an in-depth knowledge of the app itself. Otherwise you are almost certainly doomed to make a mess of the whole thing.

It's just my 2 cents anyway and I don't know the background.

Adam