It depends on how much control you have over the users' browsers, and also how determined the users are to use their back-buttons.

You can do lots of stuff in javascript like opening a new browser window without the button bar, or catching a back-button keypress and stuff like that. Actually I'm not sure about that last idea. They are all javascript solutions.

I like your idea with location.replace() - it would never create any history, so the back-button at any point would take the user back out of the website. However it doesn't seem realistic to produce an extensive javascript mechanism on the browser just to stop the user using the back-button.

Every problem that arises from use of the back-button is solvable in other ways, in my experience.

Adam