Hi Saul,
to try to narrow this down a little, is the problem javascript or server-side, or both?

One thing it might be is where you specified your ApplicationResources.properties. It should be something like this in struts-config.xml :

  <message-resources
    parameter="org.blacksail.ApplicationResources"
    factory="org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory"
    null="true"/>

Perhaps it would help if we could see the relevant form-definition in your struts-config as well.

Adam