--- "Gregory F. March" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I seem to have successfully pushed Struts in my company (a big Wall
> St. bank).  However, today, I was asked the following question:
>
>     How can I guarantee that there are no hacks, bombs, etc. in the
>     Struts code or any OS code for that matter?
>
> My immediate response was, how can you guarantee it for any code?
> However, being a large bank with literally trillions of dollars a day
> passing though our systems, I can definitely understand their concern.
>
> At a minimum, we will obtain the source code and at least do a minimal
> code walk-through and then compile our own binaries.
>
> What other guarantees can I make to my management?  What is the process
> the Struts team uses to control a rogue contributor?

There are rather few committers than can change the code base (roughly
10-15 people).  All commits are mailed to struts-dev for the team to
review.  Even if Struts were secretly hacked, it isn't all that much code
to review anyways (about 14,000 lines of non-test/example code).  You
could narrow your code review to only the packages you'll actually be
using.

You will always have access to the source to do security reviews unlike
proprietary commercial software :-).

David