I am embarking on a project which is primarily for my own use, but I have
some hopes of commercializing it later. The business plan would involve
licensing it for use on commercial websites I don't control. I see three
major challenges in integrating with an existing site (ignoring details
about different container software):

1) Database usage

   Right now all of my data, including user authentication, is in the
   database. This is fine for when there is a single dataset, but I expect
   each user (group of users) to have a completely independent set of data.
   I'm evaluating using Torque for DB interaction, but I don't know if
   there is a good way to choose a separate datasource depending on the
   user.

   Another aspect is calling Torque to build the database when a user who
   has not used my feature comes along. That may or may not involve
   creating a new database for the user, since the site may already be set
   up with a database for each user; it is likely, however, to involve
   creating a new set of tables. Presumably I need a table naming scheme
   which will minimize the chances that there will be a conflict.

2) User authentication

   Basically, I expect that a user will be logged in to the site as a
   whole, and I should be able to just read their cookie and authenticate
   it. I am, however, unsure how such cookies are usually dealt with on the
   backend (e.g. is the cookie usually user and pass, or is it some unique
   identifier that matches in the database, or does the identifier match
   automatically in the server-side runtime the way a session cookie
   does?).

3) Page layout

   I actually expect it to be reasonably easy to handle layout
   customization with with Tiles. I'm not sure how well the various Struts
   tags deal with CSS (do all the HTML tags allow class attributes?).

I wrote a prototype several months ago in straight JSP (with some custom
tags), gave it up as unmaintainable, and recently finished reading Struts
Kickstart.

My purpose in posting this to the list is to get the benefit of the
membership's collective experience. Is Torque a good choice? Is creating a
separate database for each user unacceptable from the point of view of a
website which provides services on a per-user basis? Is Tiles sufficient
for customizing layout and such? Any suggestions, tales of woe, or design
critiques are appreciated.

Please do not CC me; I am subscribed to the list.
--Greg