I asked this earlier and did not receive any response, so i'll post it one
more time with more supporting info...

In validation.xml, how do I show the value of the offending field in the
error message as
opposed to the field name?

i.e. if the field I want to validate is email, and the user types in "foo",
how do I show
"'foo' is not a valid email address"

as opposed to the more standard (or widely documented) error
"'Email Address' is not valid"

In my current validation.xml, here's the relevant portion:
              <field property="email"
                     depends="required,email">
                  <msg
                    name="required"