We want to do exaclty the same. After many attempts, it seems that Struts
1.1 Validator does not provide this functionality.

It seems that there will be an evolution in Struts 1.2 with the validwhen
validator, see :
"Designing Complex Validations with validwhen",
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/dev_validator.html
and
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/api/org/apache/struts/validator/validwhen/V
alidWhen.html

We are (will be) using intensively the Struts Validator and we do need this
feature as soon as possible.
If there are other people interested, maybe we can work together on the
subject.

First, let's write a short technical spec document, write a test class and
then implement it !
As far I am concerned, we just need to extend FieldChecks to add the value
of the field in the ActionError.

Let me know what you think.

Jean-Michel