Let's say I have several groups of links grouped as tiles.
The displayed links will be dynamic based on the current
state of the database.

I have read what may be a possible solution: "Tiles Controller feature"
here is an article:

http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=Tiles101

If I am understanding correctly it would not be good practice to
query the database (Mysql by the way) directly from my JSP.
(Not sure how to do this anyway - tags etc).

Could I use multiple forms (with an action for each) on one JSP?

What is the common solution?

Having a page which may for example
have several form controls and links that require querying the database
and would be dynamic?  Several queries will be required to be performed
at the same time for one jsp view.

Thanks,
Barry