Here's roughly what you want to do to get 'Foo is an invalid email address':

Make sure you've added this to you ApplicationResources.properties
file as the 'email' rule expects a message named 'errors.email' - check the code for it
and you will see.

errors.email={0} is an invalid e-mail address.

below is a snippet from my JSP where the e-mail entry field is declared:

and the associated entry in the validation.xml file...

            <field property="emailField" depends="email" >
                <arg0 key="validateForm.emailField.errorname"/>
            </field>

other pertinent entries (for the code above) in the ApplicationResources.properties file:

validateForm.emailField.displayname=<span class="formLabel">An email:</span>
validateForm.emailField.errorname=Foo

works great - makes its own sauce...

-jeff