From: Bender, James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 10:19 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: any known issues with WAS 4.0?

Hi,

I am new to Struts and installed Struts-example, Struts-blank etc from the
stable 1.1 release at jakarta.apache.org/struts.

None of these work on my WAS 4.0.  I get all sorts of errors and I dug
through news groups applying patches that never worked all of yesterday
trying to get one of them to work.

Then, I installed the struts-stub (struts 1.0) example from the tutorials on
the site and that one deployed perfectly.  Does Struts 1.1 just not work on
WAS 4.0?  On struts-blank I get

Error 500:
through the web -- no error context provided on the line
index.jsp::<logic:redirect forward="welcome"/>

The activity log reports:

IBM     WebSphere   AEs 4.0.1 a0131.07 #com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebGroup

327cd30d 3072 2kws100900202/Default Server Servlet Error: {0}: {1}
%com.ibm.ejs.resources.seriousMessages

        java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:521)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:436)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:396)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.RedirectTag.doEndTag(RedirectTag.java:294)
        at index_jsp_4._jspService(index_jsp_4.java:95)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:139)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:286)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:415)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:544)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager
.java:827)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycl
eServlet.java:159)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServle
t.java:286)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycle
Servlet.java:106)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:47
2)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletMan
ager.java:1012)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManag
er.java:913)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(W
ebAppRequestDispatcher.java:499)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequest
Dispatcher.java:278)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestD
ispatcher.java:105)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.SimpleFileServlet.doGet(SimpleFileServlet.java
:198)
[...]
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:67)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.
java:123)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedIn
vocation.java:67)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequ
estProcessor.java:122)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener
.java:315)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.ja
va:60)
        at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:313)
        at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:242)
        at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:122)

Anyone's help would be really appreciated!  Thanks!,

James Bender
B2E Web Development Group
Fifth Third Bancorp
Phone: (513)534-3603
  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Fax: (513)534-8448
     MD: 1090W1

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may
be privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If
you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it
in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender
that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your
computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

This message and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of Kmart
Corporation (Kmart) and may contain confidential and proprietary information. You are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Unauthorized use of information contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal
prosecution and penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete
this message immediately.