Right question, then.  Look for something like a SAXParseException,
ConnectException, or something similar in the standard error log.  If it's
still having problems locating the DTD, try using a URL like
http://localhost/<Context_Root>/DTD/struts-config_1_1.dtd and setting the
action servlet to not load on startup.

--David