From: Ted Husted [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 1:53 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: EJB's vs. Hibernate vs. Torque vs. custom DTO's

In the end, this is a team decision and which decision is right is going
to depend on who else is on the team. Each of the technologies has their
own merits and demerits (which is why we keep creating them).

But, if you are used to writing your own DTOs, and all other things
remaining equal, you should take a good look at iBATIS Database Layer.

http://www.ibatis.com/

It is not an Object Relational Mapping framework, but does a truly
excellent job of separating data persistence from the rest of your
application. Clinton posted a very fine comparison of SQL Mapping and
ORM here:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=914883&forum_id=206693

A real plus for a Struts developer is that there is a realistic,
best-practices, soup-to-nuts example Struts/iBATIS application available:

http://www.ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html

Regardless of whatever choice you make, I would strongly recommend
taking a close look at the DAO framework that ships with iBATIS. It is
not dependant on the iBATIS SqlMaps and can be used with Hibernate, OJB,
or whatever else. Or nothing else. I also use the iBATIS DAO framework
to switch to a mock database for testing. (This is the sort of thing Joe
meant by "persistence interface".)

-Ted.

Sasha Borodin wrote:
> I hope I'm not comparing apples and oranges; if I am, please excuse the
> ignorance, and slap me upside the head...
>
> The subject line says it all - I'm investigating the appropriate uses of
the
> above technologies to move data between databases and objects.  Thus far
in
> my development career, I've relied on my own DTO's - homegrown primitive
> lazy loading, caching, etc.
>
> As I'm starting projects for other companies, I'm realizing that no one
> wants home-grown solutions where standards and proven products have
already
> filled the niche.
>
> Thus, I'd like to get some opinions as to the level of complexity and
> appropriate use of EJBs and other object-relational bridging technologies.
>
> Who uses what, why, and where? :-)
>
> -Sasha Borodin

Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,