I think you may be doing two things wrong:

1.  j_security_check is a special URL.  If you have a security realm defined
in your web application, and authentication method specified as FORM, then
the container will automatically forward any requests for protected
resources to a configurable login form.  This login form collects the
username and password, and posts to this special URL; the post to
j_security_check gets intercepted by your servlet container, which performs
Container Managed Authentication - it looks for the j_username and
j_password, authenticates the combination, and forwards to the originally
requested resource, or to a configurable error page if the authentication
fails.

All this to say that you can not map an action to j_security_check.
Furthermore, you can't even aggressively authenticate using CMA (Container
Managed Authentication) - if you go directly to your login page (without
being forwarded there by you container), and try to submit the form, you'll
get an error.

2.  If you were trying to map a legitimate URL, then you'd have your
<action> properties wrong.

<action>
    path="/someLegitimatePath"

    type="your.action.class"

    name="name of a previously defined ActionForm if needed for this action"
</action>

HTH,

-Sasha