I had a somewhat similar issue with Tomcat when it came to serializing a
FormFile.  I got around this by extending the MultipartRequestHandler and
implementing Serializable.  It appears that you could do the same with the
RequestProcessor.  Be sure to add this to your struts-config.xml:

<controller contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" locale="true"
nocache="true" processorClass="your.package.CustomRequestProcessor"
debug="9" />