Thanks for the reply Adam.
I'll address your tips one by one.

>> I don't use the sslext form tags. I don't mention sslext anywhere in
my
>> code or my JSP. It's purely a configuration thing.

Ok, this I did differently. I followed the examples downloaded with
sslext
And used

<sslext:form ... instead of <html:form >

Now the weird thing is - I changed this back to <html:form> to try to do

what you do, but now it doesn't even use ssl at all!

If I change back to sslext, it uses ssl but never switches back to plain
http.

>> Are you setting up the SecurePlugin in struts-config?

Yes.

>> Also are sure that you are not specifying in the web.xml that the
page
>> should be protected by SSL?

Yes.

>> Do you have the latest version of sslext? They brought out 1.10-3
recently.

Yes, that's the version I have.

>> Are you sure there are no exceptions buried in your logs anywhere?

Checked that, everything looks ok

>> I don't follow your hotmail example either. Are you talking about
container-managed logins or roll-your-own?

Login or some other action, it doesn't matter. I used the hotmail
example
because it allows you to call an action  over https, but the resulting
html page gets displayed over http. This is because the flow of hotmail
is

login page (over http) --> run login action (over https) --> display my
account.html page (over http again). So it switches back out of ssl for
the result of the action.

Now if I've understood what you have said to me correctly, this couldn't
happen with sslext. Because we would have to invoke a second action
which had the parameter

        <set-property property="secure" value="false"/>

in order to get out of ssl after invoking any secure action.

Hope you understood this,
And thanks very much for all your help,
Brian

I don't use the sslext form tags. I don't mention sslext anywhere in my
code or my JSP. It's purely a configuration thing.

Are you setting up the SecurePlugin in struts-config?

Also are sure that you are not specifying in the web.xml that the page
should be protected by SSL?

Do you have the latest version of sslext? They brought out 1.10-3
recently.

Are you sure there are no exceptions buried in your logs anywhere?

I don't follow your hotmail example either. Are you talking about
container-managed logins or roll-your-own?

Adam

On 10/20/2003 12:41 PM Brian McSweeney wrote:
> It still isn't switching back to http for other actions when
> I specify
>
>       <set-property property="secure" value="false"/>
>
> Perhaps I have to replace all <html:form tags with
>
> <sslext:form tags even when
>
>       <set-property property="secure" value="false"/>
>
> At any rate, it doesn't seem to work the way I thought it would.
> For example, if you log into hotmail, it sends the username and
> password over ssl, and then switches back to http for the resulting
> pages. This it would seem is impossible to do with sslext because
> in order to switch back to http, you must call another action which
> has:
>
>       <set-property property="secure" value="false"/>
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.
>
> Thanks for all the help,
> Brian

<param-value>org.apache.struts.action.SecureActionMapping</param-value>

>>></init-param>
>>>
>>>could someone tell me if either of these steps are necessary, or
>>>what else is necessary?
>>
>>Hi Brian, your (a) is definitely necessary to enable this:
>>
>><action    path="/staticjavascriptssl"
>>forward="/WEB-INF/general/staticjavascript.jsp"> <set-property
>>property="secure" value="true"/> </action>
>>
>>I have not used, or heard of before, your (b). Perhaps it has the
>>same effect as (a).

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9