I never thought I'd be posting about this, but
the point of the original posting was to share a holiday that is important
to many of the subscribers of the list, not to discuss the
political/social implications of a visa that is only relevant in the US.
The original posting was similar to any "Happy HOliday" or "Merry
Christmas" salutations that have been posted during December in the past.

This list has a global audience who may/may not be interested in such
discussions and political discussions are not relevant to the list topic
in general.   In addition, discussing it on the original topic thread
detracts from the original celebratory topic, imho, of course.

Happy Diwali to everyone!

Becky