Ruth, Craig, and lurkers,

I think what I'm after boils down to a method like this:

public String renderTag(PageContext pPageContext, Tag pTagToRender) throws
JspException

After creating the tag manually, you could pass it to this method, and have
it rendered.  The return value of a String should be the final output of the
Tag.  The method would check for BodyTag, IterationTag, etc support, and
react to it.  This way, the user could embed custom tags (Struts or
otherwise) within their own custom tags.

I'm surprised a method like this doesn't already exist.  This wouldn't be
recursive, nor would it recompile on each shot.  You may be right in calling
this a tad "hackish," but it would be useful, no?  I can even think of
another method that would be the incredi-hack:

public String renderTag(PageContext pPageContext, Tag pTagToRender) throws
JspException

Where you pass in "<html:file .... />" instead of the Tag object itself.
Now that would be aggressive.

For another approach, the JspFragment interface looks promising.  However,
I'm stuck with Tomcat 4.1 for now, so JSP 2.0 is out.

Lukas