Looking at the docs for the random tag library, you'll probably need something like this:

<rand:string id="random1" charset="all" property="random"/>
<c:out value="${random1.random}"/>

-OR- if you're not already using the JSTL core library (prefix: c), then replace the <c:out .../> tag with

<jsp:getProperty name="random1" property="random"/>

Brice Ruth wrote:

What HTML is generated?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I used the second sytax as
<rand:string id="random1" charset="all" property="random" />
And i cannot see this value in my "keycode". I do not want to store it
anywhere but the resetPasswordForm the form bean for this
jsp(resetpassword.jsp)

Use the ${...} syntax with whatever you name the var in:

<c:set var="rand"><rand:string ... /></c:set>

In this example, the variable is named "rand" - so you'd use ${rand}.

Or, don't use that syntax at all and use the

syntax. Where you don't need to explicitly store the random string in a
separate variable.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi
I meant should i say "${var}" or "${rand}".

--mohan

within the struts tags that support EL, you need to use the ${...}
syntax. To my knowledge, the only (standard) tags that use "$var" are
the JSTL xml tags. Make sure that you are using the struts-html-el
taglib.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi in this construct
<c:set var="rand"><rand:string ... /></c:set>

in place of value should we use value="$var" or value="${rand}".
Please let me know.

I have used this but somehow a random string is not constructed but
only an empty string is seen.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas about this. I am trying to
create a random string and put it into the database associated with
the user.

--Mohan

Whatever your fancy is :) But, no - you can't do it as you propose,
to my knowledge.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi All
I would like to use
<rand:string id="random4" charset="A-Z ! @ # \\ \- + ? &amp; $"/>

as the value for a <html:hidden> tag and store it as property
security. How can i do that?

can i do this
charset="A-Z ! @ # \\ \- + ? &amp; $"/>' />

--mohan

For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Brice D. Ruth Sr. IT Analyst Fiskars Brands, Inc.