Kirk,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will look into
JMS.
In my current approach, the process of sending the
mail is time consuming.I'm concerned that sending an
email to 1000's of recipients from my application
(using JMS, Thread etc) would clog my application
server (OC4J) and slow down its operation, which is
why I was wondering if it could be done at the
backend-Oracle 9i.

Thanks,
Shyam