Colin Kilburn wrote:

my $0.02:

Back in my perl days ;-), on a crappy server I would have simply sent
bulk emails in bursts, such as 5 at a time with a second sleep in
between.   This was the difference between 90%cpu usage to an
unnoticeable blip.   While it's not ideal, if you can get the process
into the background, server load doesn't have to be an issue.

This is what something like Postfix does. I've had a lot of luck with its built-in throttling capabilities, and it's all very configurable (and very comprehensibly configurable, unlike some of its major alternatives) in terms of its throttling. Has support for things like controlling how many batch emails it sends to any given server at a time, how many emails it will send out a minute, stuff like that. I've never been able to overload a Postfix installation, but then again I've not been in the bulk emailing game. :-)

Now we're definitely OT.

Kirk