Yeah, you are right. I had to create many a webapp that conformed to Netscape 4.7x and IE. Nightmare is one way of putting it :) Thank god for DHTMLLib from siteexperts.com and the Microsoft Script Debugger/Visual Interdev.

And also, yeah, not everyone is strong in Javascript so the next person who comes down the road ends up creating more problems than the one they are debugging!

I think Flash will really take off once us developers start using it as the defacto UI for our webapps, or atleast the defacto standard for rich web widgets mixed in with our plain-jane html/jsp.

Craig W. Tataryn

From: Brice Ruth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Examples of HTML-based user interfaces?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:46:45 -0600

I don't think understanding it is the key here ... I think maintenance of it, specifically maintenance by other developers besides the original developer, becomes a bit of a nightmare, and that's my definition of 'ugly' ... :) Dynamically rewriting the HTML on a page does really get ugly ... the facilities to do it are there, but they aren't very nice, IMHO ... especially when you start needing to support the ideosyncracies of IE v. Moz ... which still exist, unfortunately. IE's DOM support isn't as full-fledged as what Moz has, and IE supports certain proprietary things, still, that Moz does not.

Craig Tataryn wrote:

If you understand javascript, DHTML and DOM, then it won't appear as "Ugly" as Brice suggests . Take a look at those webfx widgets, very nice clean code.

Craig W. Tataryn