Jim Kennedy wrote:
> Here are my action tags in struts config:
> <action path="/myprofile"
>     type="com.bay4.struts.action.UserDetailAction">
>     <forward name="showdetail"
> path="/main_layout.jsp?page=/user_detail.jsp&amp;page_title=Us
> er Profile Screen" />
> </action>

Try adding name="userEditForm" to the <action> tag above.  That will
cause Struts to instantiate the form bean before it calls the execute
method.  You've said that you don't think the form bean gets
instantiated until you submit the form, but that's not a true statement.

Another design idea is to consolidate these two Actions into one.  With
LookupDispatchAction, the execute method uses a request parameter (can
be a form field, hidden or otherwise, or tacked onto the URL) to
determine which method within the Action to call.  Or you can do it
yourself in the execute method, programmatically determining what needs
to happen based on the presence or absence of things in the request.

It also looks like you could benefit from Tiles, but one thing at a
time. :)

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.