Paul,

Thanks for your help, I've checked this links already and they didn help me much. What I want is (following your example below): when the user has the role uploader assigned to him he may call this action uploadfile. Now: where do I define the relation user/role? Do I use a JDBC/Realm?
If I want to check this relation in my application should I externd RequestProcessor? (I believe so).
If I don't want to extend the RequestProcessor, and use it as it is, where do I mantain the user/role relationship?

Kelly.

Paul-J Woodward wrote:

My understanding is:

The request processor will check on action roles if they are defined in your
struts-config.xml file e.g.:
<action path="/uploadfile" type="com.db.gci.ge.epg.actions.UploadFileAction" name="fileUploadForm" scope="request"
validate="false" input="/uploadFile.jsp" roles="uploader">
</action>

If you want to do application based-security then you need to extend the RequestProcessor and over-ride the processRoles() method.

I'm currently looking into application-based security, this is all I have found so far:
http://puneetdelhi.tripod.com/
http://www.junlu.com/msg/40353.html

If you need more help and noone else replies, I'll write what I have found in a few hours.

Paul
Global Equity Derivatives Technology
Deutsche Bank [/]
Office  +44 (0)20 754 55458
Mobile +44 (0)7736 299483
Fax      +44 (0)20 7547 2752

Can anyone give me an example on how to use the RequestProcessor?

I want to use the RequestProcessor to check on action roles. Do I have
to subclass it? Or I can use it as it is?
To use roles to I have to configure anything in the container too? Or
just setting the roles parameter and using the RequestProcessor, will
allow mw to check the  roles that the user might have to access that action?

Thanks