I'm testing the JavaScript validation for my form and noticed that the JavaScript generated to validate my date fields throws an error that I can see in Firebird's JavaScript console. Here's the error:

datePattern has no properties

and here's the line it occurs on:

for (x in oDate) {

var value = form[oDate[x][0]].value;

var datePattern = oDate[x][2]("datePatternStrict");

if ((form[oDate[x][0]].type == 'text' || form[oDate[x][0]].type == 'textarea') && value.length > 0 && datePattern.length > 0) {

var MONTH = "MM";

var DAY = "dd";

var YEAR = "yyyy";

I can see that my date fields appear correctly in DateValidations(), here:

function DateValidations () {

this.aa = new Array("theStartDate", "Availability Start Date is not a valid date.", new Function ("varName", "this.datePattern='MM/dd/yy'; return this[varName];"));

this.ab = new Array("theEndDate", "Availability End Date is not a valid date.", new Function ("varName", "this.datePattern='MM/dd/yy'; return this[varName];"));

}

And in my validation.xml file, the following is defined:

<field property="theStartDate" depends="required,date">

<arg0 key="form.orangeThumbApp.theStartDate"/>

<var>

<var-name>datePattern</var-name>

<var-value>${defaultDate}</var-value>

</var>

</field>

<field property="theEndDate" depends="required,date">

<arg0 key="form.orangeThumbApp.theEndDate"/>

<var>

<var-name>datePattern</var-name>

<var-value>${defaultDate}</var-value>

</var>

</field>

Where ${defaultDate} is a global defined as:

<constant>

<constant-name>defaultDate</constant-name>

<constant-value>MM/dd/yy</constant-value>

</constant>

From what I can see in DateValidations(), it looks like the var-value is being picked up correctly ... so, I'm at a bit of a loss on this. Is this a know bug in Struts 1.1?

Also, does using DynaValidatorForm with validation.xml and such *only* do JavaScript validation or is server-side validation performed as well? It'd be a nice bonus to have server-side validation, to prevent corrupt or malicious submittals, but that may require a custom ActionForm?!
--
Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst