It is required because the jsp starts executing and generating output in
its buffer until it encounters the error.
If the buffer gets full before the error, the server flushes it, the
content gets send down the HTTP pipe and there is no way to "undo" that
afterwards when the error occurs.

So the right size depends on your expected size for your HTML of your
page.