Struts is not the "presentation tools" so you are fine. You can use any presentation, or even none. I do a lot of tunneling things with struts, including serving images with Action classes. Your question is not clear to me? You seem to be conflating mapping (control) and view (presentation) issues. But, I am not sure. Anyway, if you are not clear, they are distinct. I don't know how much you know, so let me stress that the web "MVC" pattern is really not the classic MVC pattern. Rather, our own beloved Ted Husted has nailed the real pattern, which is to keep the connections of each of the MVC to only one of the other three on each side (incoming and out going). It's more of a circle.