+1

<snip>
I'm betting that this could be
resolved by stashing the ArrayList into the request as an attribute or
something similar, but would like some commentary on this issue.
</snip>

Dont take that bet. You will lose. Once the response is written out to the
browser its gone. Dead. Extinct. Nailed to its perch and pining for the
fjiords. And any attributes and parameters it had are gone too.

You should to put it in the session. This is what the session is there for.
No session. No store. End of story. (ok you could put it in the db (ok) or
servlet context (dont), but... have fun managing it. ;-> ).

If you really must share the session with other users, you would need to
store it in the session under a unique id and have that unique id written to
the html and submitted back in a hidden field so you can find it again!
(That technique incedentally is also good if you need to support multiple
browser windows for the same user too - something thet doesnt work too well
with a constant session key.) Dont forget to clean it up (in session or db
or wherever) after you have finished with it.

Can you explain why you have multiple users with the same sessionId? That
seems rather odd.