i could have given you my test case if i had not thrown away earlier.
but you ca write a test case that create 10 threads and open up 100
connections. don's close.

if your max-pool-size was set to 500 and pool can expand. then in the end,
the total open connections returned from the pool should be 1000.

then just changes the test case to close connections. now in the end <=500
conns should be there.

May be other people know of some tool to do that? i know JMeter but i have
not used that.