Not sure what you mean by "conditional dynamic content generation" ??

Action takes care of the "conditional" part of the content and it is
supplemented with custom tag (equal, present) etc. on the jsp level.

I think you mean "client side validation" and "server side validation". The
decision depends on the requirements of a project, but I prefer server side
about 95% of the time.

Server side Validation is more robust in a sense that you can generate
internationalized error messages and also control the flow.

Khalid