David,
it's a bit difficult to know what's going on without seeing your action mapping which calls that .default definition.

On 03/05/2004 10:08 PM David Erickson wrote:
First the sample code:

XML defintion:
<definition name=".default" path="/tiles/layouts/base.jsp">

<put name="header" value="/tiles/header.jsp"/>

<put name="menu" value=".menu.main"/>

<put name="body" value="${body}"/>

<put name="footer" value="/tiles/footer.jsp"/>

<put name="logon" value="/tiles/logon.jsp"/>

<put name="title" value="CMC/FLEX Sales Web"/>

<put name="messages" value="/tiles/messages.jsp"/>

<put name="path" value="{path}"/>

</definition>

my editUsers.jsp

<%@ taglib uri="struts-tiles.tld" prefix="tiles" %>

<tiles:insert definition=".default" controllerUrl="/admin/editUsers.do"
flush="true">

<tiles:put name="path" value="/admin/userManagement"/>

<tiles:put name="menu" value=".menu.prospect"/>

<tiles:put name="body" value="/WEB-INF/apps/admin/editUsers.jsp"/>

</tiles:insert>

Now here's the problem, my controller action basically prepares its view by
doing some logic and placing things in the request etc.  My editUsers.jsp
(the body content one) relies on the tiles attribute path for links to other
webpages.  This is the crazy thing, if i set my TilesAction (editUsers.do)
to return null as its actionForward somehow the tiles context does not get
passed to my editUsers.jsp!! However if I DO return an actionForward its
fine!  What the heck is up with that?  Having to return an actionForward
defeats the purpose OF the tile does it not??  Any ideas?  (PS the way I
found out it works if I specify a forward was in my struts-config i set
success as the forward to /WEB-INF/apps/admin/editUsers.jsp... but that
obviously messed up my whole definition by not using anything but that
content page)

Thank in advance,

David

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2