At 12:09 PM -0800 3/12/04, Hubert Rabago wrote:
As far as I can tell, there really isn't any support for prepopulating a
DynaActionForm.  The ff is from
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/building_controller.html#dyna_action_form_classes

"DynaActionForms are not a drop-in replacement for ActionForms. If you need
to access ActionForm properties in your Action, you will need to use the
map-style accessor, like myForm.get("name"). If you actively use the
ActionForm object in your Action, then you may want to use conventional
ActionForms instead.

What I did was copy the code that RequestUtils uses to instantiate a
DynaActionForm, and put it in a method that I can call like this:
DynaActionForm dynaForm = createDynaActionForm("formName",
mapping.getModuleConfig());

Since 1/24/2004, RequestUtils has exposed a public method that allows you to get an ActionForm instance using a FormBeanConfig and an ActionServlet. This is discussed in a bit of detail in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.user/78441

This method does not do any scope searching -- it just makes a new instance -- but it helps.

I've been holding off on exposing any more of the form bean pieces until I got some more feedback. I'm waiting to hear from some other people who find it as annoying as I do to help elaborate the problem and the solution (or waiting until it annoys me enough to come up with a solution on my own...) As noted in the above-referenced post, we have an internal solution at work that puts us in a pretty good spot relating to pre-filling forms, so the itch has been scratched, so to speak.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-- Jef Raskin